My photo
I love, I laugh; as a mother, a girlfriend, a daughter, a sibling, a friend. I change. I volunteer. I make a difference. I make things happen. I get lazy; then way to high strung. I stay up all night, and pay the next day. I piss people off. I make people love. I believe in fate. and karma. I laugh at myself. I've even been called an "angel"... more than once. I've been rocked to my core by angels among us. I am a journalist for our small town newspapers, including the Muskego Chronicle, the Hales Corners Citizen, and the Franklin Citizen; I love writing for our chicken-soup-for-the-small-town-soul publications! I am right where I want to be. I am 34, and proud of my age (every birthday is another gift); the greatest thing I have done is contribute the beauty that my clone-like daughter Sophia has to offer. She is my legacy. I am a total mama’s girl; always have been, always will be. I have a Black-Irish bond (unbreakable) with my siblings. I am comfortable in my own skin. I have never been insecure, not once. I love people; but prefer kids to adults. I am not the least bit judgmental; but can hold a grudge to my grave. I follow my heart more than my head. Intentionally.

Friday, July 18, 2008


Muskego 53150
Editorial by Noelle Lorraine

When the Smoke Clears, the Bonds That Remain.


There are research studies dating back thought-out the history of mankind that conclusively prove the bond between humans and animals, is a strong and unique relationship, with positive mental and physical health benefits for the human race. Pets are used for therapy, search and rescue, to assist the disabled, and aid law enforcement and government agencies in the US, and all the way into Iraq. If you ever wondered about the human- animal bond, ask a K-9 law enforcement officer about how they feel about their four-legged partner, who typically works, eats, lives with and is sometimes saved by the “working” dog, they remain together even long after the dog “retires” from the department. They, like many of us, find a best friend and a loyal comrade in our four-legged counterparts. There are also related studies on the emotional effects we suffer, when we lose a pet, and the sheer devastation of loss that so many, are overcome with when a pet dies. The research suggests the bond is such, because of a unique, mutual fondness we share, which generally has no contingencies, nor exceptions. Personally, I feel it is an unconditional love of sorts. If you think about it, a well treated pet would never intentionally hurt its human, physically or emotionally. I suppose there are exceptions, but they are rare, and usually seem to come at the hands of human error, or bad pet owners. Our pets are always happy to see us walk in the door, even if you scolded them before you left, they don’t hold grudges, unlike the reality of the sometimes complicated world of human emotion. They protect and comfort us, even if we may be unjustified in the situation. They are loving and loyal, and it makes no difference to them, how you look. They seem to sense when you need comfort, play time, and when you need to be alone. Dogs in particular, are certainly on alert at all times to notify you of something or someone that just doesn’t seem right, in my experience, the waning of a dogs “sixth sense”, if you will, is nothing to take lightly or ignore.
With that said, I find it a bit disheartening when someone outwardly displays lack of regard for this bond, in this case, I am specifically referring to a callous attitude towards the debate of weather or not, emergency workers should make an attempt to save pets if they are able to, after all human life is spared, of course. For example, if I had a house fire, I would have complete faith that the fire and rescue workers in Muskego would do everything within their power to rescue my loved ones- first and foremost. At that point, I would be grateful, beyond expression, for anything else they were able to save, but what matters most are those I love. I have recently discovered something else about the Muskego volunteer fire department members, which I find an added comfort in, as a resident of this city. They save pets too. They respect, regard, and certainly relate to the human- animal bond.
I met with Muskego fire chief, Andy Mack last week to gather some information regarding a federal grant the department has recently applied for and received, to buy new turn-out gear for the department (see story), and it was simple because I just needed some straight forward info and a few pictures, but through my natural curiosity, I discovered the Chief and I shared a common interest- Doberman pinchers. The conversation then shifted to a chat about love for animals in general, and a beautiful, pride felt story about a lady and her cat, told by a humbled volunteer fire chief, and at that moment, I knew it was a story I would be honored to share, with our community, and I hope others will feel the same comfort as I do.
Several years ago there was a bad fire in a Wind Lake apartment building; the Muskego FD came to help. The fire was severe, and the departments came together as one, to fight for the same cause, which is exactly what they did. After the residents were out of harms way and they began to get the fire under control, Chief Mack, being the pet lover he is, asked if there were any pet trapped in the building, and he learned that there was still a cat in one of the units. He proceeds to tell the story with a prideful chuckle, about the young volunteer that came out of the fire with a partially fire scalded, and very scared cat, gripping to the front of his coat, and recalls the fireman looking at him and saying, “What do I do with it?” There was a car nearby, safely distanced from the danger of the fire, so the Chief opened the car, which thankful was unlocked, removed the cat from the front of the coat, placed him in the car and closed the door. He knew the pet would be safe here until they could reunite the terrified cat with it owner. Then it was back to business for the chief and his crew, until the fire was out.
After the smoke began to clear, the Chief told me that the cat’s owner had no idea that they had saved her beloved pet. When the woman realized that the cat was shaken, but alive and well, Chief Mack says the look on her face will be one he will not soon forget. Nothing else mattered to her; everything else in the apartment was trivial in comparison. Thankfully the cat mattered to the fire Chief and his crew too, and they were able to save not only the residents of the building, stop the vicious fire from spreading, but also spare the life of a cat, which is everything to its owner. Chief Mack concluded with matter-of-fact, yet humble statement, he said, “That is why I do what I do. The moments like that, that’s what it’s all about for me”.
No matter your feelings on politics, budgets, mergers or even saving a pet, I hope we are all proud to be a member of a community, where the heart warming, human interest stories are endless, and we are protected by volunteers, who give us their all when we need it the most, even if that means going back into a burning building to find a special pet. Personally speaking, I find tremendous pride, respect and comfort in tales like this, because when all is said and done, and the smoke begins to clear, it is the bonds that are spared, and the love that is not lost, that matters the most.
To contact Noelle Lorraine about this editorial, please email newsbynoelle@live.com

No comments:

Blog Archive